Sunday, July 15, 2007

Play Cell

Tilt "Play Cell"




The first time I saw Tilt they opened up for Green Day at a shotty club named Plus Five in Ft. Lauderdale. It was my first show and my first introduction to anything punk rock. It was really perfect timing as Dookie had just came out and Green Day had not yet graced the airwaves of MTV. I'm not sure if I should thank my older sister for taking me or blame her for the years spent thereafter buying records, going to shows, getting drunk, smoking cigarettes and trying to out punk the very few people that I hung out in with in High School that shared the same affliction. Anecdote aside, Tilt hailed from East Bay (like many great bands) and were on Lookout! Records (like many great bands) and later signed to Fat Wreck Chords (no comment). Cinder Block, the lead singer, started her own T Shirt/Clothing company and is probably lighting her cigarettes with dollar bills these days as said company has been wildly successful (she has done T Shirts for AFI, Pixies, Weezer, Strokes, Bloc Party and Dashboard Confessional just to name a very few well known clients). Anyways, I liked her band. I like them a lot. They were good, catchy, ballsy poppy punk not unlike most East Bay bands at the time. They even featured a member of Crimpshrine and how many bands can say that? OK, nevermind, at least it wasn't Aaron Cometbus. Below are two songs off their album "Play Cell". "Fool to Blame" is sang by the guy that was in Crimpshrine as I may love Cinder's voice, Fool to Blame is probably one of my favorite songs.

Tilt - White Homes
Tilt - Fool to Blame

P.S. Sorry for the lack of posts lately.. I'll try to step it up a bit..

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I saw them at the Attic it was a good show! I missed the green day thing because I was grounded. I remember all these girls liked them cause it had a girl lead singer, I like play cell but i think the one after was as good really, and at the cover art was not so terrible. What the hell is that a truck on tv. geez.